Environmental Footprint Lab
We aim to quantify environmental impacts from a consumer responsibility perspective covering the entire life cycle of the consumed products. We focus on the environmental footprints of international trade, individual products, households, cities, countries and broader regions. We utilize existing environmental footprints, such as the carbon, ecological, water, material and land footprints and we continue to develop novel approaches in development of environmental footprints to reflect human impacts on ecosystems and their services. We apply process life cycle assessment (LCA) and multi-regional input-output analysis (MRIO) in which we focus mainly, but not exclusively, on the quantification of the site-specific environmental impacts of agriculture.
- EUROSTAT RME (Eurostat, 2023–2025)
- CEVOOH (TAČR, environment for living; 2023–2026)
- Pathways towards Environmental Sustainability (GAČR EXPRO; 2023–2027)
We contribute to the following research projects:
- Czech Science Foundation Expro 2019-2023: Frontiers in Energy Efficiency Economics and Modelling (FE3M)
Scientific Articles of the Department
- The role of allocation of retail trade margins across household segments on their carbon footprint calculation
Mach, R., Ščasný, M., Weinzettel, J. (2022) Economic Systems Research, 34(1), 97-110
- Exploring and Visualizing Stakeholder Value Regimes in the Context of Peri-Urban Park Planning
Daněk, J., Zelený, J., Pecka Sejková, A., Vačkářová, D. (2020) Society and Natural Resources, 33(7), 927-940
- Methodological and empirical challenges of SEEA EEA in developing contexts: Towards ecosystem service accounts in the Kyrgyz Republic
Sylla, M., Harmáčková, Z.V., Grammatikopoulou, I., Whitham, C., Partl, A., Vačkářová, D.E. (2021) Ecosystem Services [online], 50, 101333
- Ecosystem services footprint of international trade: Economic value of ecosystem services lost due to crop production
Vačkářová, D., Medková, H., Krpec, P., Weinzettel, J. (2023) Ecosystem Services, vol. 64, December 2023, 101560
- Global environmental footprint of food
Weinzettel, J., Wood, R. Global environmental footprint of food. Nat Food (2023).
- Aggregation error of the material footprint: the case of the EU
Weinzettel, J: Aggregation error of the material footprint: the case, Economic System Research, 2021.
- Low carbon cities in 2050? GHG emissions of European cities using production-based and consumption-based emission accounting methods
Harris, S., Weinzettel, J., Bigano, A., Källmén, A. (2020). Low carbon cities in 2050? GHG emissions of European cities using production-based and consumption-based emission accounting methods. Journal of Cleaner Production, 248, 1 March 2020, 119206, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2019.119206
- International trade of global scarce water use in agriculture: Modeling on watershed level with monthly resolution
Weinzettel, J., Pfister, S. (2019) International trade of global scarce water use in agriculture: Modeling on watershed level with monthly resolution. Ecological Economics, vol. 159, May 2019, pp 301-311.